This course will take approximately 5 hours to complete. You can complete this course at your own pace. Your progress in the course will be saved if you exit AgriLife Learn.
After you finish this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize ways to implement resilient natural resource planning into land and community planning decisions to make communities more resilient;
- Articulate your roles and responsibilities more clearly when it comes to making land use determinations;
- Outline useful tools, educational resources, and similar regional efforts that can be applied for positive land-use decisions at the local level;
- Describe No Adverse Impact principles and techniques for effective floodplain management; and
- Define FEMA flood zones, interpret flood insurance rate maps, and implement mapping practices that take into account residual and future risk.
More choices in Community Planning & Economic Development
Rural areas in Texas face changes such as rapid growth, urban encroachment, job losses, outward migration, and lack of transportation options. This publication outlines the steps rural leaders and residents can use for adopting a basic planning process to address the problems and needs of their community. (2 Pages)
Transit agencies play a crucial role in improving community resiliency, including communities’ ability to respond to natural hazards such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards.
Citizen science, also known as community and participatory science, is a term used to describe the participation of volunteers or any non-professional in scientific research.
This course is intended for local elected officials and others interested in natural resource planning, positive land use, open space preservation, green infrastructure, elevation, or buyout-related activities.
En cada comunidad, varias personas y organismos trabajan juntos para redactar y poner en practica el plan local de gestion de emergencias. Entre ellos se encuentran los funcionarios electos, los departamentos gubernamentales (por ejemplo, la division de carreteras y puentes del condado), las agencias (por ejemplo, la oficina del sheriff del condado) y otros grupos […]