The Texas Rural Leadership Conference set for Feb. 9-10 in Victoria will feature development of key leadership skills in building community assets, new ways for engaging community members in sharing visions and assets, and building individual and community visions, according to organizers.
The two-day conference, themed Building a Story – Weaving a Community and Regional Narrative, will be at the Victoria College Emerging Technology Complex, in Victoria.
Speakers and topics include:
- Rev. Nandra Perry, Episcopal Church in Hearne, Texas Rural Leadership Program model to “revive the spirit of the community.”
- Brandon Dodd, owner of Lloyd’s Body Shop in Upshur County, Sit a Spell Texas Rural Leadership Program concept.
- Luther Snow, creator of Asset Mapping, Decorah, Iowa, “Use What We’ve Got to Get What We Want” with focus on communities in the Gulf Coast area rebuilding from the damages from Hurricane Harvey.
- Liberty County Judge Jay Knight, discussion on leadership, relationships and teamwork built through the Liberty County Texas Rural Leadership Program, strategic plan, which helped the county bounce back from Hurricane Harvey.
- Carmen Pedersen and Amanda Holland, Texas Tech University graduate students, personal stories and research that demonstrate the importance of using principles of resilience, best practices that focus on limited resource students’ personal assets to develop potential.
- David Summers, professor in Rural Economic Development and Entrepreneurship at the University of Houston-Victoria, how regional economic development works, why the regional narrative is important and how to get started.
- Jerry Carrino, instructional professor for the School of Public Health at Texas A&M University, College Station, how to achieve and sustain health improvement in rural communities with focus, collaboration and champions.
To see the full program and register by Feb.1, visit trlp.tamu.edu.
Through the application of science-based knowledge, AgriLife Extension creates high-quality, relevant continuing education that encourages lasting and effective change.
Learn more about Opportunities to Support Extension.