The Texas Backyard Basics Expo will be held from 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Aug. 1 at the San Antonio Garden Center, 3310 N. New Braunfels Ave. in San Antonio.
The expo, presented by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service in Bexar County, will feature expert speakers, activities and vendors. There also will be raffles for door prizes.
The cost is $20 per participant.
Speakers will include Rodriguez, AgriLife Extension entomologist Molly Keck, retired AgriLife Extension horticulturist Dr. Calvin Finch, San Antonio Food Policy Council representative Kim Rocha, and others.
Expo topics will be:
- Attracting Butterflies and Hummingbirds.
- Backyard Chickens
- House Plants
- Controlling Diabetes through Healthier Food Choices
- Planting 101: Landscape Watering
- Selecting and Growing Fall Tomatoes
- Making Raspberry Chipotle Jam
- Oak Wilt and Other Tree Issues
- Rainwater Harvesting
- The Benefits of Bees
Through the application of science-based knowledge, AgriLife Extension creates high-quality, relevant continuing education that encourages lasting and effective change.