With the weather warming and spring just around the corner, Central Texas residents can soon expect a pest proliferation and “exclusion” is the best way to prepare for it, said Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service expert, Elizabeth “Wizzie” Brown.
The best way to prepare is by excluding the pests through removing potential sheltering and breeding areas and securing your home from their approach.
- Prune trees and shrubs away from your home
- Move any materials stacked next to your home, such as firewood, bricks, stone or landscaping materials
- Install or replace weather stripping around loose-fitting doors and windows
- Block any weep holes in outside walls that have a brick or stone façade with copper mesh and to use an expanding sealant to fill in cracks and crevices
- Repair or replace any damaged window screens and clean gutters of any debris
- Remove or secure anything that can capture water and provide mosquitoes with an attractive breeding site
- Scout early and on a regular schedule to catch pests when they are small in size and numbers.