This soup can be a little different each time depending on the mood and what you have on hand. With a few kitchen staples and assortment of fresh vegetables, you can make your own delicious soup that will be much tastier than anything that comes out of a can!
Watch a video:
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 small potatoes with skin, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ head of green cabbage coarsely chopped
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven to medium heat and add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion, carrots, carrots, and celery. Stir frequently for 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables are aromatic and slightly softened.
- Add garlic and continue sautéing for 1 more minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cabbage. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a strong simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage and simmer for another 20 minutes, or until desired tenderness reached.
- Add additional seasoning to taste. Serve hot.