Learn about the different types of mosquito repellents for babies, kids and adults.
Repellent Quick Tips:
- Repellent should only be applied to clothing and exposed skin.
- Do not apply repellent underneath clothing!
- If you want to apply repellent to your face, spray your hands with repellent and rub it onto your face.
- Do not spray repellent directly into your face or near eyes or mouth.
- Make sure to apply repellent outdoors.
- Do not allow small children to handle repellents.
- After applying repellent, wash hands before eating, smoking or using the restroom.
- Keep repellent just outside your doorway to remind you to apply every time you go outside for an extended period of time.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends using a product registered with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) containing one of the following active ingredients:
- some of the products containing oil of lemon eucalyptus
- Mosquito Repellent – Frequently Asked Questions
- If possible, look for the new Repellency Awareness Graphic
- Repellent Product Search Tool
- Mosquito Control at Home and in the Yard
- Mosquito Control Videos
- How to Prevent Mosquito Bites
- Mosquito Control Products
- Mosquito Borne Diseases in Texas
- Events & News
- About Extension Entomology
- Mosquito Control (main page)
Ask an Extension expert your question about Mosquito Repellents or other topics.