By: Jenna Anding, Associate Professor and Extension Nutrition Specialist, The Texas A&M System
There are many ways to enjoy processed cheese. It can be sliced and placed on a cracker, on a hamburger or on bread to make a grilled cheese sandwich. You can also add shredded cheese to scrambled eggs and casseroles.
How to store it
For best taste, store processed American cheese in the refrigerator. Keep it in the package it comes in until you are ready to use it.
Once you have opened it, wrap the cheese in aluminum foil, plastic freezer paper or freezer bags. Use within 3 to 4 weeks.
The cheese can be stored in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Easy Macaroni and Cheese (makes 6 servings, about ⅔ cup each)
What you need
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1½ cups processed cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
1¾ cups skim milk
3 cups cooked macaroni
How to make it
- Wash your hands; make sure your cooking area is clean.
- Melt the margarine or butter in a saucepan.
- Mix in the flour and salt.
- Add the milk slowly, stirring all the time, and cook it over a medium heat until the sauce starts to boil.
- Lower the heat and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir it until it is melted.
- Mix in the cooked macaroni and stir it until the macaroni is heated.
Download a printer-friendly version of this publication: Cooking with Processed Cheese
Do you have a question -or- need to contact an expert?