The Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) offers digital cytology to account-holding clients. This provides rapid evaluation of digital cytology photos taken with microscope cameras or smart phone technology. This option offers STAT evaluation of samples to allow for appropriate clinical treatment and diagnostic steps. In general, cytologic evaluation is a rapid, minimally-invasive technique to characterize lesions and determine if more invasive or expensive techniques are indicated (i.e. biopsy and advanced imaging). Cytology is intended to provide preliminary information on masses and effusive processes. With digital cytology, preliminary results can be acquired within one hour, instead of days. To enhance this service, submission of glass slides for evaluation is included in the price of the digital cytology test.
Name: Digital Cytology Interpretation
Cost: $65.00 with a $6.00 accession fee
Smears for digital cytology can be prepared in the same manner as glass slides. Monolayers (thin areas) will be very important for capturing high-quality images. Stain with standard in-house methods (Diff-Quik, etc.). If possible, retain some unstained preparations for follow-up submission.
There are several options for taking microscopic images in-house. Options include: built-in microscope cameras, cameras with eye-piece adapters, and smart phones (alone or with stabilizer).
Digital cytology will be most rewarding for identification of infectious agents, inflammatory lesions, and monomorphic population of cells (neoplasia). Glass slides can be submitted following the initial digital cytology interpretation, which may increase the diagnostic utility of cytology.
– A minimum of 2 images at varying magnifications.
– RBCs, neutrophils, or note magnifications to allow for evaluation of size.
– Multiple microscopic images and images of the gross lesion are encouraged.
Submission of images (see examples on back)
– Submit via email: email@example.com
– There are multiple options for form submission.
- The form can filled out on a computer and included as an attachment with images submission. • The form can be printed, completed by hand, photographed and submitted as an additional image.
- Or, all the pertinent information from the form can be entered directly into the body of the email.
– Images should be saved as JPEG or PNG files.
- Smart phone “medium” size / reduced file
– The total number of images should be noted on the submission form, if multiple emails are sent.
Digital cytology results
Images submitted Monday-Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. will often have results available within one hour.
Preliminary reports will be released similarly to standard cytology submissions.
Submission of glass slides is recommended following digital cytology, as examination of the whole smear can provide further diagnostic information. Submit the same accession form for both digital and glass slides to ensure additional charges are not accrued.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions.
Download a printer-friendly version of this publication: Digital Cytology Service
Do you have a question -or- need to contact an expert?