By: TVMDL, The Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
The Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) offers timely and accurate diagnostic tests for Tritrichomonas foetus, the parasite that causes bovine trichomoniasis, or “trich.” We employ the most current technology available to provide the best service to clients. However, we can only ensure your sample is done in a timely manner if it gets to us ready to go.
Prep it properly
- Collect in a non-expired pouch. If expired, we can’t guarantee your sample’s validity and it will not qualify as an “official” test.
- Avoid cross contamination, no blood, fecal matter or dirt should get in the pouch.
- Follow the manufacturers directions to close & seal the pouch.
Ship it Safely
- Choose a reliable courier so your sample arrives at TVMDL no later than 96 hours after collection. We recommend you do not use the US Postal Service.
- Ship the sample and completed forms.
- For official testing: the TAHC Trichomoniasis Test Record Form, animal ID, collection date and veterinarian’s signature are required.
- Protect the pouch with proper packaging.
Receive the Results
- Understand that trich samples must be incubated 48 hours. If you need the sample by a certain date, plan ahead for testing time.
- TVMDL can only release results to the submitting veterinarian or owner.
- Owners should list contact emails for both themselves and their veterinarian; veterinarians should also list the owner’s email for results.
For more information on trich testing, or TVMDL’s other services, visit tvmdl.tamu.edu
Download a printer-friendly version of this publication: Trich PCR Testing: Step-by-Step
Do you have a question -or- need to contact an expert?