Walk Across Texas! is an eight-week program to help people of all ages support one another to establish the habit of regular physical activity. Walk Across Texas! is recognized as a Best Practice Physical Activity Program by the Texas Department of State Health Services. Since 1996, thousands of Texans have participated in Walk Across Texas!
How does it work?
The Walk Across Texas! program was designed to help establish the habit of regular physical activity. For eight weeks, teams of eight people, school classes, or individuals walk 830 miles across a map of Texas.
Walk Across Texas! significantly increases participants’ physical activity.
- 116 Texas counties participated in 2013.
- 27,156 adults and youth registered statewide.
- Average age of participants was 43 years old.
- Participants increased mileage 4.76 miles from week 1 to week 8.
- Approximately 15,800 youth participated in school teams.