Step Up Scale Down
Step Up Scale Down is a 12-week online weight loss and wellness program. It promotes healthy weight loss and lifestyle habits based on USDA guidelines and scientific research to promote health and reduce your risk for chronic disease.
Each week focuses on a different topic related to nutrition, healthy eating, exercise, and more to support you in your weight loss journey.
Topics covered in this program include:
- Setting realistic and healthy goals
- How to calculate calorie needs for weight loss to reach a healthy weight
- Why fad diets are not recommended
- Portion sizes for adults
- How to read nutrition labels and identify food claims
- Meal planning for weight loss and weight management
- Motivation to workout and exercise
- Signs and symptoms of dehydration
- Healthy snacks for weight loss
- Fruits and vegetables to consume for a healthy diet
- How to eat healthy while socializing at work, restaurants and parties
- What are normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Rewards for weight loss milestones and success
Step Up Scale Down can be implemented based on community needs and audience preference. Agent-led programs can be delivered virtually through Teams, face-to-face in a community or workplace setting, or a hybrid mix of both. There is an online course available through AgriLife learn that is offered 3 times throughout the year and is led by Carissa Wilhelm.
More choices in Disease Prevention
The Texas 4-H Family & Community Health Program provides a variety of resources and opportunities to learn about nutrition, interior design, consumer education and more.
The 10-10,000 Change Challenge is a premiere program from the Family & Community Health unit to develop an active lifestyle that meets physical activity recommendations for general health and chronic disease prevention
Balancing Food & Play (grades 3rd-5th) was developed to address children’s health issues by developing lifelong healthy behaviors through nutrition, physical activity, and family engagement.
Health Talk Express looks to raise awareness about chronic disease reduction. These programs challenge the audience to practice a health-promoting behavior to lower disease risk.
Scrub Up, Tune Up is part of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension’s Family and Community Health Unit program with efforts in infectious disease prevention.
Better Living for Texans program provides research and evidence-based nutrition, health and wellness knowledge to empower individuals, families, and communities to make positive changes for healthier lives.